Tuesday, March 17, 2009

two things

Today is St Patricks day.. yesterday I gave my students homework to find out some info on this Patty bloke.. because one of the girls said 'why the heck do we celebrate it anyway?'.. so I got them to do the research!

They all busted in this morning with beaming faces all wanting to share what they had discovered.. it seems old Patty lived a pretty eventful life.. so anyway, we had a bit of a discussion about it all and everyone got to share what they found out.. and then we got onto talking about why some people were labelled as saints in the catholic church and what they had to do to become a saint.. this is an area I know very little about so I let the students take the discussion and just took it all in and saw where they were going with it all. So it got to the point where they were talking about miracles and that you had to perform two miracles to become a saint.. at that point I asked them all to think of two things they would do if they could perform miracles.. they all had a good think about it and one by one hands started popping up and it wasn't long before they were all busting to share their thoughts.. so.. one by one they had their say..

some beautiful things came up.. here are just a few

grade 6, girl: I would find a cure for cancer.. not just for humans but for the tassie devils too.

grade 7, girl: I would make every parent love their children.. because every child needs to have a mum and dad who loves them.

grade 6, boy: i would bring back all the huge extinct animals and let people enjoy them.

grade 7, girl: I would get rid of money so everyone is equal.

grade 8, boy: I would jump in front of trucks if old grannies were going to get hit by them.

I then asked them to think about how many different people that would effect.. and to explain what they think would happen if they performed that miracle today..

they all got excited.. it was kind of amazing really.. it made me feel so so so pumped for these guys who have such an excitement and an obvious passion for helping people.. they were beaming with excitement at the thought of changing the world.. we all talked about how we can each impact the world in different ways and that the things we do play a massive part in others lives.. and that there is nothing that says we can't perform those kind of mircales..such a good conversation.

So... now its your turn.. if you could do two things.. what would you do? I know we all would like to do more than two but just put it out there.. pick two things u would do if u could do anything in the world :-)

1 comment:

nickflight said...

It is really hard because I would really want more than two.

If I was limited to two I would-
- raise my grandfather from the dead.
- Eliminate AIDS in Africa.