Monday, March 16, 2009

reflections

I just have to say that I have a very tough job, but it is also exactly where I want to be and exactly what I want to be doing. I work in a small town with a tiny community of people who all know each others business and who all live by the same set of values - and its a town I was once pretty afraid of being a part of because of how set in their culture they are.. its a bit scary really.. but after working there and seeing just how much good comes out of the place I am really falling in love with the people there... yeah there are things I don't agree with and there are people who make me want to chuck, but there are also the people whose hearts are so evidently in tune with compassion and who give all they have to making life a positive experience for others. I have seen a lot of heartache since working at this school, and a lot of broken children who are in desperate need of love.. and it touches me to see how the community pull together in a non-weird kinda way to help these young dudes. Its cool being an 'outsider' who comes in each day to work and then leaves.. I wouldn't have it any other way.. I don't think I could live there - because of my own personal reasons - but I can see why people do choose to live there. It is a very supportive community (once u get past all the technical rubbish that every organisation seem to have).. I'm just glad to be doing my bit there.. I'm employed as a teacher, but i really feel that my job is so much more than that. Working in a small school you naturally have to learn to work as a team - it just doesn't work otherwise. I love it.. and I don't know if I will be there after this year (who knows where i will be) but for now this is my job and it is also very much a passion.

2 comments:

nickflight said...

We think you are an awesome teacher Coz, and I'm glad that you see it as more than a job as well. Katie and I always get excited hearing you talk about what is going on with work, and the energy that you have when you talk about it...

btw can't wait to catch up again soon!!

Corrie said...

cheers Nick :-)

lets do that thing where we get you and katie and myself in the same room and chill..thats always fun.