Thursday, March 5, 2009

sausages and such

YAY! We won our first game of basketball tonight.. I loved it so much! Its such a good feeling to work your butt off as a team and even if we didn't win I know I would have had a fabbo time.. Im pumped for this.. I think Ive found something I love.

Can I just share with you something that made my heart melt today at school.. one of the boys who has been a bit of a challenge to me said completely out of the blue 'you served me a sausage miss'.. and at first I thought.. what the? What was he saying... so I asked him to say it again.. "what did you say sorry?" and he repeated "you served me a sausage".. I automatically got defensive wondering what the heck he was on about because he was just saying it like I should know what he meant and I began to wonder if he was about to make a big joke of me or something.. sounds harsh by me but its quite likely.. anyway.. he looked up at me and waited for me to respond.. I said "oh.. um.. what do you mean?" and he said "on the very first day.. remember.. before school started.. at the bbq.. you served me my sausage"..

he just looked at me and smiled. for this boy to stand there smiling at me without trying to pinch me or poke me is an amazing thing in itself.. but it was so sweet.. he was just letting me know that he remembered that and then he said "yeah - remember? you served me a sausage and it was gooood".

haha.. sorry.. I just found it such a nice thing.. even if it isn't an intentional compliment, it really made me feel like he was responding to me in a positive way for the first time this year. I think its going to be a long road with some of these students, but I care very much for each of them and am prepared to take the journey with them.

No comments: