Sunday, April 5, 2009

1 Corinthians 13:4-7

if love is patient
- wait for me -
if love is kind
- let your actions show me -
if it does not envy
if it does not boast
and it is not proud
- i like the sound of that -
if it is not rude
- it must be considerate -
if it is not self-seeking
- it is not about you and me, but 'us'-
if it is not easily angered
- it knows things can take time -
if it keeps no record of wrongs
- we need to be forgiving -
if love does not delight in evil
- it must rejoice with the truth -
if it always protects, always trusts, always hopes, and always preserves
- love is something i will always strive to be -
When I was in grade 10 I was going to a local church in my hometown. I read this verse and didn't really understand it because I thought the bible must have been speaking about love in an ideal world instead of what it actually is.. either that or I had never really experienced love. One day I remember reading the verse and writing it out again, replacing the word 'love' with 'God'.. i remember it being a very significant thing for me..

God is patient,
God is kind.
He does not envy,
He does not boast,
He is not proud.
He is not rude,
He is not self-seeking,
He is not easily angered,
He keeps no record of wrongs.
God does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
He always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preserves

3 comments:

stef said...

thats quite cool. i like the replacement.

hisharleygal said...

i had just filed for divorce after being married to a narcissistic abuser for over 20 years and my Daddy showed me the passage and said "he didn't know what love was, remember this and find someone who lives this". 3 years later I found and married someone who was just this, he was a great friend i had met a few months after the divorce was granted and I realized God had sent him to me to not only help me through the divorce, but for life. I just gave the passage to my former sister in law (used to be married to my ex's brother and is 1 year post divorce herself) when she asked me for some advice as she has started to talk to someone. I told her this is what love is, not what we had, pray to God to help you keep your eyes and heart open to find him.

Anonymous said...

I am writing a sermon for the coming Sunday title "Rediscovering Love". This has been a great journey as I prepare for full-time ministry and felt compelled to share in my discoveries. When I read your perspective on this popular passage, it moved me. I greatly appreciate it.
'God is love'. Love does not exist outside of God. It is dangerous to think otherwise.