Saturday, April 18, 2009

day 9 - blast from the past

Location: warragul
Listening to: people talking


This morning I woke up in warragul. I decided to check out the local church in this small country town. I walked in to the sound of deep loud male voices bellowing "good mornin! how ya goin!" There were four men lined up near the entry to the auditorium. I did my head-down-walk-in-and-avoid-being-noticed-as-the-new-girl thing. It failed. I shook hands with about 10 people as I entered. Each of them saying the same thing, probably all said it a hundred times that day, "good mornin, how ya goin!".

So I got through all the hand cuddles and went to find a seat. I looked around the room and could see in the crowd of about 70 people that I was the only girl who was not a farmers daughter or wife. Clearly a farming town.

The service was quite cool. This area was mostly burnt out by fires so there was a long slide show that showed pics of people rebuilding fence lines etc. A lot of work still needs to be done here. Crazy.

After the service I was heading out to grab a cuppa when I walked past a familiar face. I took a second look and realized I definitely knew this guy. He looked about my age and was chatting away to some other people.. I even recognized his voice. I knew I had to have met him once before... But where!? I looked again and probably ended up staring... Bit rude... But I HAD to work it out!

Turns out he was on a camp I did back in tassie about 2 years ago. We were both helping out in the kitchen for two weeks. I remembered he was visiting family for the summer and had volunteered his time at camp. Funny! I am in a town I've never heard of before now.. And I know someone! Haha that's Christian circles for you!

So now I am FINALLY going to get to traralgon today. The plan was to be there 2 days ago but I found other exciting detours along the way.

Can't wait till Tuesday. I have decided when I fly home I will jump in the car and drive to the coast to visit my parents. I'm speaking at a leadership conference next weekend in ulverstone so I will probably chill on the coast until then! Ahhh I love holidays :)


No comments: