Tuesday, April 14, 2009

day 5

Location: frankston station
Listening to: coldplay- viva la vida
Mood: contemplative
Feeling: cold and sleepy

So last night I arrived in frankston and waited for my big sister to come and get me. I was standing outside a 7/11 for about an hour just observing the locals and giving my back a rest from the increasing weight of my backpack.

This place got me thinking. When I first jumped off the train a young blonde boy who looked about 8 years old, well kept, and sweet as pie came up to me and looked deep into my eyes with amazing manners and asked me for a spare dollar. I felt bad because I actually had no change on me so I said sorry and kept walking. It troubled me and I felt bad for this poor boy who probably needed to get home to his nice cooked dinner but was a dollar short for a ticket.

It wasn't until after I got some cash out and bought a slurpee that I realized what the gig with this boy was. I was standing slurping outside the before mentioned 7/11 when three Indian men congregated outside next to me, talking about restocking their store. One held a shopping bag full of ciggarette cartons over his shoulder. I was watching without them realizing when I heard a young voice say "whoa!!!!" the Indian men all had a joke with the young boy who had appeared by their side and told him he was "a very little boy to be looking at grown ups bags!" The boy had a laugh and then waved for his friends to come see. There were now 3 of them. All looked younger than ten years old, all gawking at the bag of what they thought was a jackpot! "can I have some?" asked the first boy.. The man just laughed at him and took it lightly, but then a familiar face, blonde hair, deep blue eyes looked deep into the mans eyes and said "please sir, I've got 70c?"

I was shocked. This young sweet boy was asking strangers for money to feed his addiction! The Indian men finished up their gathering and told the boys to go and make a life for themselves - in a very sweet and quite cute way.

All three boys then went on a mission asking strangers for a spare dollar. I just watched wishing I could speak to them but hey... What can I do?! An elderly Greek lady gave it a shot. When the boy asked her she glared at him and said "no no. I no have change. What for you want the money?" the boy just walked away and she shouted "WHAT FOR!? GO AWAY. Go ask your mama!! Where is your mama? Go ask your mama!"


I felt very sad to say the least. Now it must be said, I grew up in a small town where the youth would roam the streets and most of my friends were smoking by grade 6... So I'm not shocked at the begging people for money... More at the age of the boys.

So anyway.. I finally met up with my big sister and we went down to her home in rosebud. It's beautiful there. Had a great time. Last night there was a massive thunder storm. The loudest I have ever heard. Loved it!

Now I'm back on the train heading to the city where I will meet up with my big brother who is a champ. He is taking me out for tea to meet his girlfriends family. I love my bro and his girl.. So tonight will be fun!

Oh- and nick.. I have found a new drop of wine that would be best shared with good friends. So when I get back I will be sure to keep it cold and ready for a nick-Katie-coz chill time!


1 comment:

nickflight said...

awesome coz... there will be something tasty on the table upon your return.

interesting story too by the way!!