Thursday, October 2, 2008

Metaphorically Speaking

Key Changes - the cheap emotional musical experience.

Today I turned the radio on, and it was tuned into a local christian radio station so I just left it and thought 'what the heck, i will give it a shot'. The songs are all very similar in style, all very verse - chorus - verse - chorus - bridge - chorus -chorus - structure. The thing I noticed about these songs in comparison to the music I usually listen to is the number of key changes.

In the last chorus there is this build up and key change then they sing the exact same chorus as before but in a different key.. and for some reason this gets people all emotionally involved in the song and they dig it at that point.

Interesting.. personally I think it is tacky - in most cases.

So I got thinking.. if my life were a song.. hmm.

Do I want to keep doing the same thing over and over again but chuck in a key change occasionally to make it a little more exciting...? Not really.

I want my life song to be intriguing... complex yet simple... harmonic but not just the 1st - 3rd - 5th structure harmonies... melodic...I want my melodies to dance around the reference note, no key changes... just exciting and empowering musical genius working its magic and doing its thing... I want to sing in languages unknown... ahhh... if my life were a song I would embrace it in full.

Metaphorically speaking..

No comments: