Friday, August 22, 2008

The Secret - Ask the Universe

Tonight I have a lot of things I would like to write about. The last 24hrs have opened my eyes to a lot of things, and I dont like the reality of most of these things.

Last night I was talking to my family, just crappin on about nothing in the lounge room.. doin our thing.. just chatting.. and one of my family members mentioned the new rad religion called 'the secret' and how she fully believes in it and has got all these dreams and goals that she 'knows' will come true because she has been applying all the rules of the secret.. the basic overview of this craze is that anyone can have anything they want.. all you have to do is ask the universe for it and truly seek it and it will come to you. It basically sees the universe as a god that gives out whatever you want.. if you ask for it.

Now.. I have never been against the power of positive thoughts.. but... BUT... 'the secret' seems to promote selfishness. Everyone that I have spoken with about it seems to ask the universe for money or things that are of dollar value. No one so far has mentioned that they are asking for justice or compassion or freedom or love or rescue. No one. I am sure there are people out there in the world who are... but.. I have talked with a few people on this topic and all of them have visions of winning the lottery and scoring a new car etc.

This makes me sick.
It is promoting exactly what the world is promoting..

"you need more.. buy this.. you need it... you can have better than they have.. what you have isnt good enough... if you had more money you would be a bigger and better person".

So, in discussion with my family I said "I find 'the secret' to be really selfish and Im sure its not the answer to the spiritual hunger each person has within them.. how can asking for money make us anymore satisfied if it is mainly money that drives us to want more satisfaction in the first place?"

Well...

Lets...just...say...

That didnt go down well. I have really offended her and now she thinks that I think she is selfish... its been taken out of context. I feel terrible because I didnt mean to offend her but at the same time I wonder if offending people isnt always the worst thing... which leads me to my next train of thought.

When I get offended it is usually because someone has pointed out something that I dont really like about myself.. and it is not so much offensive.. it is more the fact that they have caught me out on something I didnt want to admit.. I was happy living in the land of denial until someone decided to point it out and then I become offended.. strange.. I have never pondered exactly what would cause the feeling of offence.. or even what that feeling actually is.. is it anger? sadness? Hmm... for me it is a physical reaction.. I feel tight in my chest and my head starts to heat up and my forehead tingles.. is that normal?

And.. when I get offended I usually feel SO uncomfortable to the point where I do something about that thing that i dont like about myself.. It might not be my most favourite process to go through.. but when im through it im usually thankful for the person pointing it out.. after all, i only got offended because i didnt like it about myself.. hmm so back to my family situation.. have I done her a favour in the long run? Only if she is convicted about it i guess.. and if she chooses to make a change.. but i cant do that for her.. and I cant convict her heart.. I guess I will just hope that she can see what I was meaning.. maybe i will ask the universe. pffft!

Hey i really dont know if I am a bit too presumptious with my views on this, so make sure you holler back if you disagree or agree or whatever.. Its something I am getting more and more interested in.. and would be keen to hear your opinions on it.

I could write all night.. but i wont..

3 comments:

Tibbs said...

Really like this blog.
you've got some good train of thoughts going.

I think it's definitely another way God uses others to help us grow. And the end result is often great.
Not going to write much as i'm tired.
but good blog! =)

nickflight said...

the secret is so weird... i can relate to you, not with family but i had a similar experience with friends.

the mad things i find with it are-
1/ the people who are into it are usually the ones talking about social justice and stuff, but like you say it is a completely self-serving, selfish religion.

also

2/ it obviously doesn't work. i don't know how people claim it works because if it did there would be heaps of rich crazy white people running around.

Corrie said...

mmmhmm! Spot on Nick.. I dont understand it. I am trying to see reason in it but I dont think I can.

Phil - thanks for the encouragement!