Tuesday, July 14, 2009

empty half gone

When you wake up with a melody on your breath, a beat in your soul, and a rhythm in your step - you have found your song.

Today I got back from 'music camp'. I took my students to a little camp site out in the middle of some mountain ranges in Tasmania. The site is right down in a valley, soooo cold and wet.. We spent a lot of our time inside by the fire learning new instruments and jamming. It was tiring, but sweet. At one point we decided to climb up one of the mountains (not the whole way!) just high enough to get to the waterfall that was in full action - gorgeous. It was a fun treck... Slippery and scary and quite dangerous... But it made me realise how much I love that kind of thing. I'm considering doing a hike up one of tasmanias bigger tracks sometime soon. I think it could be quite an adventure.

Watching the students pick up new instruments and give them a go was an interesting experience... I think it's a lot like life... One girl picked up the flute and persevered with it for about 45 mins. She could get a sound out of it and was doing alright, but as soon as she picked up the sax she knew she was on the money! Some people are just naturally talented at some instruments.. Got the right physical make-up for it.. I was like that on sax, but had to teach myself how to sing and really practice hard at guitar... Not a natural at either of those, but with sax it took nothing for me to become quite good.

Life can be like that. We can persevere with something because we can do it if we work hard at it... But I believe we will exceed all our expectations when we find the path we are made to walk on... Not suggesting we won't need any practice!

1 comment:

nickflight said...

nice one coz... nice analogy...

I'm looking forward to hearing about music camp and more on sunday