Thursday, September 25, 2008

Birds of Tokyo

Perth, WA - indie band
Birds of Tokyo
Recent Album - Universes

I have liked the band for a while now.. but not to the point where I love them..

Somehow live gigs have the power to make that change for me. Tonight I saw Birds live and really enjoyed it. I watched from the back for a bit, but couldn't resist the pull of the stage. I had to get amongst it!

The thing that had me stumped was his voice. On the albums his vocals are neat and quite unique - but tonight I realised just how insane his voice is. He never lost pitch.. he reached higher than I can.. he fully belted out massive notes that lasted full and strong beyond what I ever would have imagined was authentic on the album. It amazed me. He never struggled.. it sounded so natural and powerful. Insane. I am muchos imprezzos!

Oh and as for the multilayering on the album.. I always thought there was only one singer and perhaps a bv volcalist.. but no.. there is the lead singer, and then the guitarist sings all the other backing.. so in a live set it sounded flippin amazing! They were tight, entertaining, and had an awesome selection of songs. I was a bit taken back that they started the set with the first two songs off their latest album - played almost exactly the same - and I thought we might have another eskimo joe gig on our hands, where u could pretty much shut your eyes and be listening to the album... I like gigs where they mix it up and shock u a bit! Anyway.. the order of their tracks was brillo and you should have seen the way the crowd reacted when they played 'wayside'.. man alive.. that song rocked the venue. I loved it.

So all in all.. I was expecting big things from this gig.. and I got so much more than that. It was rad. Oh and I got the chance to have a chat with some of the guys involved in the band (not the band members, just roadies etc) and that was awsome. I was chatting with the dude at the merch stand and asking him if their album art is by Shaun Tan because it looks so much like his work.. he didn't know but was then keen to find out as well so he said he would sus it out.. I never found out the answer to my question, but did learn a lot of other business. Fun times. I like gigs.. cool people, great tunes, and always a bit of head bopping and bustin of the groovy beats.

So.. it is day 5 of Mayhem Madness and I am still alive and kicking. I am living off an average of 3 hrs sleep a night now, and am still working and doing uni. I got home at 3am this morning, did my washing, went to bed and was up by 6am getting ready for uni.. went to uni - pumped out an assignment with the Jimmy, then jumped in the car and drove to work.. got home, got changed, went to Birds.. it really is MADNESS! Only 2 more nights of it and then Im going to become a nana and stay indoors for a bit! - Although I am really enjoying it.. it has been great getting out on the social scene a bit more.

Anyway, it is bed time now. I will get a bit of a sleep in tomorrow so that shall be wonderful. If you have managed to read this far through this post I congratulate you.. leave a comment so I know who the committed ones are! You might even win a lollie or something fun like that.

Night Homies,
Chill.
xx

2 comments: