Thursday, October 8, 2009

the universal language

so they say that music is a universal language.. but obviously some styles/artists appeal to people in different ways. Lately I have been indulging in new musical goodness as opposed to my couple of months recently where I was content just listening to old stuff and had no real desire to buy a new album. I love my CD collection for its randomness and almost embarrassing selection of tunes. It tells a story about my musical appreciation journey..the things I listened to along the way that have lead me to loving music the way I do.

So I thought I might enlighten you with some of my most recent musical loving.

A band out of France called Pheonix are my current favourite. They use a lot of synth coupled with odd but catchy beats and a very unique vocal sound that glides over the complex synth action going on. They use a lot of tempo and timing techniques that intertwine to create depth to a rather simplistic melody. It is quite fascinating to listen to the way different timing and tempo is used for different synth parts in unity...strange but good.

then there is this guy who sells himself as Bon Iver which means 'Good Winter' in French (I'm sensing a French theme) but this guy is from Canada? I think? Anyway, he wrote his most recent album after a breakup with 1.his band and 2. His girlfriend. The album is called For Emma, Forever Ago. It is beautiful. It is acoustic based with stacks of vocal multitracking and a lot of random sounds thrown in that create a very emotional and touching theme. Bon Iver is an artist that I appreciate for his ability to write a good song and portray his emotions brilliantly through that medium, not so much for musical genius.

MuteMath - wow. I won't go down the line of trying to use words to describe them..just buy the album. Armistice. It is fab.

Now for a talent that I am looking forward to further releases from. Florence and the Machine out if London. She has an awesome voice and I love her style but she is quite new on the scene and although I do appreciate her music I am more excited about things to come. Worth a looky if you are into jazzy but poppy but soulful female vocal greatness.

Muse - hmmmm. I should be careful with this one because I know there are a lot of diehard fans out and about who are loving their 2009 release but for me personally I am quite disappointed. I am not too sure what I expected but I didn't expect Bellamy to be Beyoncè. Granted, they are still Muse and haven't 'lost' their brilliance...they just didn't really infuse it into this latest release.

And that brings me to the end of my blab.


No comments: