Sunday, October 4, 2009

mission: solo

It seems whenever there is change or transition I like to go solo in figuring out my next moves. It's habit I think, and I also believe I'm not alone in this, that I go for as long as possible on my own mission to fill the gaps in my story so I know things will be ok tomorrow.. instead of trusting now and forever.

The 'now' bit is alright for me.. I have no worries taking each moment of each day and trusting it to God but when it comes to the forever part..I start filling my 'now' with worries about 'forever'.

The proverbs talk about a lot of things...mainly wisdom in living out a faithful life. I don't usually like to separate verses from their chapter or book (to maintain context) but this one kind of speaks for itself anyway..

Proverbs 3:5-6.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.

I like this verse because it reminds me that we are all on our own paths (plural) and that they are indeed OUR paths that he will straighten. It makes me wonder exactly what the metaphor for a 'straight path' is referring to..it is often interpreted as being 'righteous and without sin', or in the more religious sense of doing all the right things to get into heaven... but I wonder if it is perhaps suggesting something more literal, and more practical. I don't know, and I haven't thought about it enough to make a call but all I do know is that no matter what 'straight' means, God is making my paths that way and I'm up for that.

I get caught up in thinking it's so terrifying to make decisions because I might be stuffing up my destiny...how selfish of me! I spend so much time worrying about the decisions I'm making that I don't get out and let myself be used. And if I look at my life so far..I never really chose to do the things I've done or have the passions I have..they have just become a part of my life.

My friend said this to me on the weekend, and it has stuck: "too many Christians worry so much about what they are meant to do to the point where they end they end up doing nothing."

I don't want to get to heaven and have God say "well done good and not-so-faithful servant."

When I think of the word "faithful" I think of 'loyal' and 'obedient', but when you look at the word, these things are merely fruits of faithfulness.

Faith= being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.

Therefore, faithful= living that out = acknowledging your beliefs in everything you do = proverbs 3:5-6.

'nuff said.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thats so true.. thanks Corrie