Sunday, December 19, 2010

Radical or Reckless?

My friend recently inspired me with a story he told where his integrity was questioned and he was put in a compromising situation that could have been quite damaging to his reputation and employment. My friend was accused of lying (which, in this circumstance was a big deal, not just a fluffy white lie)...as he was sharing this story with me I already knew he was telling the truth, because never in the years I've known him has he ever given me reason to question his honesty. Anyhow, the inspiration came when he told me he was trusted by his work mates who had also experienced his honesty and integrity for as long as they had known him. It got me thinking...would the people who know me have the same trust and faith in my honesty? I would hope so, but in saying that, I wish I could claim that I was honest 100% of the time. I feel like that would be quite a radical way to live..or would it be reckless?

My white lies usually pop out by default. "how are you, is everything going well?" ...."I'm great, yeah everything is good"...blah blah. Aaaaand I am guilty of lying by omission. I will quite regularly just not say what I'm thinking to avoid having to expand on the idea. But, in the long run, if I appear to passively agree to opinions raised in conversations...is my integrity compromised? Likely scenario.

I decided to investigate.

Blanton is a dude who believes Radical Honesty is the key to intimate relationships and a healthier, stress free lifestyle. If you are interested in reading what he has to say, here is a basic low down:

http://m.wikihow.com/Practice-Radical-Honesty

I'm not keen on his 'say everything that comes to mind' theory, basically because I believe our tongues can cause chaos if we aren't careful! However...filtering your thoughts...good plan. I am going to attempt a 72 hour Blanton-athon. I wonder how regularly I will find myself lying incidently or by omission..or even those nasty white lies. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: