Monday, December 20, 2010

12 hours in..

Blanton is all about being honest in every way. He suggests we need to always say the radical truth, no matter how uncomfortable the situation may become. At this stage, I disagree. Here are some of the 'lies' I told today that I think are perfectly acceptable.

7:30am: mum asks, did you sleep well?I respond, 'yep'.

The FIRST word out of my mouth in the 72hr Radical Honesty Thingy was a lie. Great start.

I decided to try extra hard in the following conversations and managed to cruise through with no surprise lies...until

12:00 noon: brother asks, 'are you hungry? I'm keen for food.'

I respond, 'yeah I'm keen, we should get some of those yummy bread roll things with the seeds on top'

Brother brings home the rolls and says, 'are these the right rolls'

I respond, 'yep that's cool, cheers'

They weren't the rolls I was talking about. In this case...yes, I lied, but no, I didn't care too much for whatever rolls we got...soooooo hmm...

I lie like this throughout the day and am pretty ok with it. What are your thoughts? Should we be radically honest and ditch the social norms whilst we're at it?

I'm liking the challenge because it has made me think and become a lot more conscious of the things I say. I might try to be a little more radical tomorrow. You have to ease into these things..hehe..and I'm not certain this form of honesty is going to help maintain my relationships. I will keep you posted.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I'm a bit Blanton-esque in my approach to people, and I think it's probably my best and worst attribute.

Being honest is all well and good, but sometimes you hurt people's feelings unnecessarily. Like you said, the rolls were fine - your brother would've felt like a bit of a failure for not getting the 'right' rolls, when it really didn't matter. Where's the benefit in that?