Friday, June 26, 2009

halfway to forth

Last night I went to my local bar for a chill session with my housemate after a long and tiring last week of term.

When we got there we were stoked to see that a band from the coast, Halfway To Forth were playing. I first heard of these guys a year or two ago when I walked past them playing on the side of the road in a town called Penguin. The band is made up of two brothers, dan and kyle. Dan exchanges between a snare, tambour, and stomp pad setup, and guitar, along with mostly lead vocals. Kyle also has a great voice along with the skills of guitar and banjo. These brothers are pretty amazing musicians, and together they compliment each other creating what I would say is blues and roots awesomeness.

I love going to my local because it is always laid back and the crowd is 80% regulars with the other 15% backpackers and 5% drop-ins. It's always a good vibe- but last night was something else. Everyone was grooving to the sounds and loving the mix of covers and originals. At one point a guy called Zac Lister jumped up and whipped out an amazing cover of Billie Jean. That was a treat! Zac Lister was a bit of a musical legend in launceston over the past 4 years. I believe he has relocated to Melbourne and is playing in a three piece there. I could be wrong?..

Anyway, next time you are in the mood for some good live tunes, hit up the Halfway to Forth myspace page and get amongst the madness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much for the word up! Jeez that day on the side of the road in Penguin was an interesting gig~ Again, thanks for the support.

Dan.