Tuesday, January 13, 2009

less than average

I was a little bit frustrated in my last post.

Since finishing uni I have found myself thinking a lot more - im not sure if this is because I deliberately set out to become a more reflective thinker, or if it is because im no longer trying to fill my head with uni rubbish. I have been writing out my thoughts in a little black book I was given as a new year gift. Its kind of funny to read back over what I write because a lot of the time I am frustrated. I recently wrote a bit of a scribble about the people I have found myself spending a lot of time with since uni. It seemed that throughout uni we were all perfectly happy living off the dregs of others and eating cheap food, sitting on dodgy couches, drinking less than average beer, treating ourselves to a coffee once a week if we were lucky, never turning the heater on to save power, all jumping in the one car to save petrol, and not dreaming of ever walking into a shop and buying a fillet of chicken breast! These things were all a common thing amongst us strugglers because no one had the money to throw it around on things we didn't really need. Now days.. I feel like I am possibly the only one left who still clings to a lot of this.. We all are earning quite a lot now, and everyone is spending up big, not happy with the second hand couch - must buy a new black leather one and a recliner to boot! I just don't understand it? We are all also planning to do some travel and move about before 'settling down' (which by the way is not something I want to do - but thats a whole other blog). So i had a little disagreement with my housemates the other night because they want to spend about $6000 decking out our house in new furniture. They wrote a list and basically told me what I am paying for. I thought this was so rude, and mainly inconsiderate of the way that I want to spend my money. I am much more concerned about being responsible with money, or faithfully irresponsible. It may sound a little strange.. and no one really seems to understand why I think like this. I just think that there are a lot of people in the world who could use my money more than I can. One housemate said to me 'dont you think you work hard for this money - you deserve to come home and sit on a comfortable couch!'. Ummm.. yeah I work hard.. but since when do I deserve comfort when there are people in our own backyard who work harder and struggle through life who feel blessed to be sitting with a roof over their head when they get home. I just dont understand the greed. I really really REALLY hope that money never has that kind of power over my mind.

And the funny thing is - I am more comfortable in a less than average couch..

1 comment:

nickflight said...

exactly... I'm with you on that Coz... thats how we feel most of the time... I say most of the time because sometimes I get tempted (or pressured into indulgence myself). That is rude of your housemates though... I hope it works out!