Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Ross River

So I made it to Broome after a 14 hour drive in forty something degree heat with a busted aircon and a burst tube in the radiator. I became quite familiar with my cars engine that day. And my best friend was a roll of electrical tape. I whipped out a dodgy job on the burst tube and somehow managed to make it to Broome from Kununurra with only a few roll starts and three stops due to the engine overheating.

Since being in Broome I have met loads of people and really enjoyed my time relaxing and preparing for the year. I am constantly feeling that this was the right move to make. I know I am where I'm meant to be in this moment.

I met my new principal and staff crew over the week (bumped into one guy who is staying at the backpackers here and worked out he is one of the teachers). They are all very very nice and so supportive!!

Support is something I need at the moment because I've just been diagnosed with Ross River Virus. If you aren't familiar with it, it is passed on through mozzie bites and can vary in it's impact according to the individual. Unfortunately for me, I have lost a lot of movement in my small joints (fingers, toes, elbows, jaw) and it is very painful too. I also have a full body rash going on that looks like I've been eaten by little bugs. It's pretty nasty. There is no treatment as such, just pain relief, and is likely to last a month before improving. Sucks to be me. So I'm in bed resting up.

Looking forward to kicking it in the head and enjoying my year(s) at Yiyili!


1 comment:

stef said...

You are one adventurous woman miss corrie! I hope you get better really quickly. :)